Sunday, December 6, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!

Today is Dec 6 and my dad would have been 82 today. Instead he has been gone since Nov 1 and my mom and I went to visit him at the cemetary today. This was the first time that we did this and for the week leading up to it I thought about it everyday with great anxiety and sadness. Once we arrived and wished my dad a happy birthday, I found myself quite at peace with just being there. He is in a beautiful spot and I found a tremendous comfort in knowing that I can come anytime I want to talk to him.

What I thought about most today was my dad's capacity for life and love. He was always on the move, looking for the next thing to do. He wanted to know what everyone else was doing, how they were doing and why there were doing it. My dad loved to talk to my brother and I and even our friends about their professions. My dad retired way too early and his interest in what we did during our work day was relentless. He was so proud of my brother and me and it will be something I hold onto for a long time.

My dad was always a powerful, big, energetic and lovable man. It is a huge void that he is gone and today, I miss him very much. Happy Birthday, Dad!

1 comment:

  1. I remember his constantly smiling face and you are right, he always wanted to know what was going on with work and life, and there were always good follow-up questions! He was very good to me too, and you are all in my thoughts and prayers. - Allyson Felix

    ReplyDelete