Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Best Telelvision I Have Seen Recently

I love television. I wish I didn’t because I keep finding books I should read. But after a long day of work, and then having dinner and putting our kids to bed, I just love sitting in my cozy chair watching the TV. Below are some of the best that I have seen recently… #1 – Miss Representation This is one of the best documentaries that I have ever seen and thank you to Jennifer Seibel Newsom for making such an enlightening film. This made me stand up and take notice. The film discusses how poorly women are portrayed in the media and how numb we have become to the characterization of women in all aspects of film, television and music. I found it so disturbing that I made a conscious decision to change my television viewing habits. I felt so guilty for watching shows like “The Bachelor,” “America’s Next Top Model,” and “Project Runway.” These shows only perpetuate the insecurities of women. And these are not the only offenders. Female news anchors who are dressed inappropriately and don’t take themselves seriously. The absolute worst offenders advertisers and how they use of sex in commercials. Commercials portraying sexy women in little clothing to sell fast food or a car are now more frustrating than ever. I think everyone needs to see this film. Go to www.missrepresentation.org to learn more. #2 – I AM Tom Shadyac’s documentary about his search for deeper meaning in his life is also one of the most inspiring films that I have seen. After a bike accident, Tom realized that his “stuff” was not making him happy. It didn’t make him sad, but his expectation was that acquiring all the material riches would increase his happiness, which it did not. He sold his big house, gave away a bunch of stuff and downsized his life. And so begins his spiritual journey. One of the most compelling moments of the film is Tom’s conversation with scientists about how the heart sends messages to the brain, not the other way around. I was so moved by Tom’s reaction to the possibility/probability that the heart is the core of our messaging system. I, too, thought it made so much sense. Go to www.iamthedoc.com and I promise you will be moved. #3 – Suze Orman’s Money Class Honestly, I was not a big fan of Suze Orman, but the idea of the series grabbed my attention. I have recorded it and now I have watched two episodes and I am hooked. It is embarrassing how irresponsible, lazy, and/or ignorant we, as a society, are about money. I was amazed at how Suze simplified every money problem thrown her way and even more shocked as to how much I related to the anxiety her audience feels about their money habits. #4 – Saturday Night Live And now for some comedy – I have been watching this show since I was 16, every episode. I love this show. Even though I record every episode, I usually stay up to watch. The ensemble cast on this season is one of the best ever. Both Seth Meyers and Kristin Wiig are just two of my favorites. While I understand that it is extraordinarily hard work to put on at 90 minute live show, the entire cast looks like they are having the best time. My husband likes to say that I am an easy laugher (making me a great audience member for a comedy club), but I have frequently heard him give a laugh or two out loud. If you haven’t seen it in a while, go to the NBC website to view some of Andy Samberg’s digital shorts, especially some of the videos with Justin Timberlake, you will not be disappointed. Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment