Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Facebook and the New Meaning of the Word "Friend"

On www.Dictionary.com, I found this definition of the word “Friend” - a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.

While I am one of the millions of people on Facebook who does really enjoy the connections that I have made with people from my past, it saddens me that it has also diminished the beauty of the word friend. Can anyone just be a “friend” simply by clicking “add friend?” Don’t you have to earn it? Shouldn’t we value being called a friend?” What is the new meaning of the word "friend." And as a parent, how do I explain the difference of being a friend for life and a friend on the computer? Luckily, my kids are still two young to be on Facebook.

Years ago, I was devastated by the break-up of one of my oldest and longest friendships. From that moment on, I promised myself that I would value the people in my life who were kind to me, with whom I connected and who earned my friendship. And for those who called me their friend, I would share my life with them with honesty, with passion and with respect in order to keep the name “friend.” My friends are very important to me and I tell them so. I think it is important to be a thoughtful friend. What does my friend like? Is she sad today? People come into our lives at different times and some stay for a long time and others for only a short time. I believe that some are meant to have a specific purpose to help us or to give us the opportunity to help them.

At this stage of my life, I realize I see my best reflection by the people who surround me. Sometimes, spring cleaning is not just to get rid of old clothes that don’t fit, sometimes it means leaving friends behind that also do not fit in my life anymore.

Life is short, love is real and friendship is a gift. Cherish it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment