Saturday, November 23, 2013

Old Feelings Aren't So Bad Anymore

End of the year is a difficult time for me.  I am not much of a December 31st fan and never understand the party to celebrate the turn of the clock.   I envy those that say good bye to the old and ring in the new.  Truth is that I just want to get to the new year as quickly as possible.

And this year I am grateful for so much.  2013 was a beautiful, special and emotional year.

  • My mother and I participated went to Israel to participate in my daughter's school travel experience.  It was a dream come true to have our three generations together in Israel.  My daughter had a great experience and as this was the first big trip that we had taken since my father passed away, my mother and I really celebrated our time together.
  • My daughter has an incredible summer at Camp Ramah.  And her joyous experience away at camp fed us at home.  We were so proud of her and knowing that she was safe and happy, we had a terrific month at home.
  • My daughter's bat mitzvah was in September; B'reishit was her torah portion.  It truly was a beginning for her and for us.  Our experience as a family reconnected us in a new way.  Her bat mitzvah was a team effort and we all accomplished our goals.  The events surrounding the bat mitzvah focused on family, friendship and finding your paradise.  And on the day of the Shabbat morning, the one thing I didn't plan for was all the love and support that I would feel throughout the service.
So, as I walk through the next 6 weeks until 2014, I will take each day and meditate with gratitude and joy.  December can be difficult; it can be filled with anxiety about gift giving, constant re-evalutation of the year's successes and failures, and trying to examine and regroup for the following year. 

This first thing is that I always need help.  I can't and don't want to walk through this life alone.  My family and friends are great supporters and I will use them to help me stay focused and calm.

As I write this post, I am watching "Pitch Perfect," for about the 20th time.  I know that this movie makes me happy.  Also, writing this post has just lifted an enormous amount of anxiety.  It took me a while to realize that my writing is a strong coping skill.  It brings me peace, clarity and connection to something greater than myself. 

Let's see how we can get through the next few weeks unscathed by avoiding the typical frustrations and difficult emotions that come with the "holiday spirit."

Let me know your secrets that help you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment