Sunday, November 3, 2013

Tethered In Love

Recently, I heard the word tether(ed) in reference to being part of a community and became curious about how one can be tethered.

According to the dictionary, tether |ˈteT͟Hər|
  1. noun: a rope or chain with which an animal is tied to restrict its movement.
  2. verb [ with obj. ]: tie (an animal) with a rope or chain so as to restrict its movement: the horse had been tethered to a post.
Whether we admit it or not, we want to belong to something or to someone.  Facebook, Twitter and other social media are filled with 140 characters or more about how one connects to another or at least is trying.  "How cute is my kid, how funny is my pet, how interesting is my job, how lucky am I" or of course, the reverse it true too, "My kids drive me crazy, can you believe my spouse did this..., had a horrible date last night, don't go to that restaurant...."

"Tethered in love" is my new favorite phrase.  This past week was the fourth anniversary of my father's passing and I still feel connected to him.  I can imagine having a conversation as if he was sitting right next to me.  Somehow, there is an invisible chain linking us forever and it is real.

Yesterday, I led our meditation group and simply through our words and silence, I felt connected.  Again, this "tethered in love" is invisible and yet somehow I feel stronger, better, more whole after we learn together.

Look at your life and think of the beautiful tethers in your life.  Even if sometimes they feel heavy or difficult, be thankful for the love and joy these connections also bring to your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment