Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mixed Messages - Let's find some clarity!

February 2 - Over the past 25 years, I admit to being a mild Oprah fan. I watched many shows, not all, and mostly over the past few years. I do admire what Oprah has done for the empowerment of women and at the same time I realize that her show was also a daily reminder of what was wrong with me and how I need to improve. In order for her show to be truly successful, it fed on our insecurities. So, what if Oprah had said, "I think you are perfect just the way you are. You don't need my help." I believe there are many shows and other media that send us mixed messages.

Many things and people have inspired me over the past few months. One of the most significant documentaries I have seen is "Miss Representation" (which I saw on OWN), I was blown away by how men and women are so critical of women in a different way than they are of men. And as women, we let it happen. At first, I was outraged and thought, for my daugther and son, we will change our television watching habits and then I realized that for my own health and well being, I needed to stop watching shows that are condescending to women - it leaves me with few options. In my search throughout this year, I hope to find positive examples for my kids (and for me).

Thanks for listening and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment