Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Have Faith and Say a Prayer

A couple of weeks ago, my friend gave me a special prayer book entitled “Aneni.”   I have always had faith, but receiving this book was something different.  I have only used it once, but I have to admit that I really enjoy just having it in my purse.  Whenever I have to reach into my bag, I see it and it makes me feel better. 

Since I started meditating early last year, I have learned to pray.  I was always comfortable talking to G-d, usually in my car or on a walk.   I would try to pray for others in synagogue and it always felt forced.  But now my prayers are more thoughtful and more focused.  It gives me a greater sense of peace.

The book is in both Hebrew and English.  I used to think too much about my inability to read Hebrew and now I have found beauty and wonder in saying the prayers in English. 

Anyone can pray.  Anyone can meditate.  Meditating or praying to slow down for at least 30 minutes a week has helped to stop my mind from spinning its tales of anxiety, insecurity and worry.  I didn’t believe it at first.  I began in January and now nine months later, I have noticed significant and positive changes in my mood, attitude, and productivity.

Here is my prayer for tonight – I pray that  those who are struggling can see some hope and they take a moment to say a prayer for themselves and for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment