Thursday, March 14, 2013

Resolution - Worth the Wait

As the week ends, the heaviness of my heart and the non-stop anxious voice in my head seem to be subsiding.  I am smiling.  I am breathing better.  I am healing by reacting with confidence and strength. I behaved so that I could be kind and do the right thing.  With my family, my friends and my colleagues, I searched for truth and those who stood by me helped me every step of the way.

In Kerry M. Olitzky's Life's Daily Blessings: Inspiring Reflections on Gratitude and Joy for Every Day, Based on Jewish Wisdom (p. 47). Kindle Edition, I read the passage for February, 18th, my birthday.  It seemed fitting.  This week, I worked on mending my world.  I solved problems, I reconnected with family and friends and I spoke truth with kindness and love.  I let go of anger, confusion and anxiety. Situations that caused me anxiety, I can now look forward to with excitement.

Mending the World 
FEBRUARY 18 
Blessed are You, Adonai our God, Ruler of the universe, 
for giving us the opportunity to mend the world. RABBI RON KLOTZ 

While this is not a traditional blessing-that is, not one of the list of blessings penned by the Rabbis to be among the one hundred that are to be said each day-it certainly contains what might be called traditional sentiments. We are each obligated to help repair the brokenness in the world, and in others. Of course, we may be simply motivated to do so because it is the right thing to do. But we also want to recognize that when we do so, we are contributing to God's work in the world. In repairing what is broken and working to bring perfection back to the world by healing it and those who inhabit it, we are acting as channels through which God's presence flows into the world. The blessing that Rabbi Klotz wrote acknowledges the sacredness of such an act. It is a privilege to join with God in order to fix what is broken in the world. But the world is not alone in its need of repair. When we contribute to fixing the world, we often end up healing what may be broken in ourselves.


What I noticed in all this is that when I responded with truth, I was genuine and vulnerable.  What I got in return was love, truth, comfort, and even some surprises from those who haven't shown up before.  Earlier in the I didn't see the resolution.  Now, it is crystal clear and it was worth the wait.

I am entering Shabbat with great joy and looking forward to my meditation class with my friends.

Shabbat Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment