Personalities are what make us all unique. However, when many personalities come together, it is sometimes difficult to manage everyone’s unique energy, working style and opinions. Here are a few quick tips to keep your sanity while working in larger groups:
1. Stick to your job – When you are in a large group, always be clear about the work assignments and stick to it. Often we get caught up in doing other people’s jobs or simply criticizing since we know better.
2. Write it down – Write everyone’s tasks in a project document. This allows all team members to know their job. No confusion, no excuses.
3. Speak with kindness – To send your message to the entire group, speak with kindness. It is easier for everyone to hear you when you speak nicely. It allows the group to engage in a more productive conversation.
4. Speak privately – If you need to be more direct with one of the members of your team, speak to him/her privately to explain your intention. If you have a conversation outside the group, you will have a better chance of that individual understanding you.
5. Take a walk – When your nerves get the best of you, take a walk. When you are frustrated with how the team is communicating and you feel like you are not being heard, take a walk. Give yourself a moment to breathe and re-focus.
Most of all have fun. Working in a group can be very rewarding.