Monday, May 14, 2012

We Change Our Life and Life Changes

Life changes very rapidly, sometimes in the quickest moment.  At the beginning of the year, I made some significant changes to my life.  I added tennis lessons, meditation/torah study, and I began this blog.  With all that I have added, I had to give up some.  Do I miss what I have given up...not at all.  The benefits I have already received in the few short months from these activities far exceeds my expectations.  

Tennis - My intention was to get out more to exercise and work off some steam.  It has provided that and more. I have met some really nice people who would never have crossed my path.  I am the oldest and the least fit, so when I keep up and even beat the "kids" it gives me great joy, confidence and simply put, a lift in my spirits.  I would be remiss if I didn't mention how gratifying it is to me that after a bad day, it completely changes my mood when I get to smack some tennis balls for an hour.  Do I think of someone who wronged me that day when I smack the ball across the court...absolutely.  But only for a minute.  That is all it takes to get fully immersed in the game and forget about all the crap that took place that day.

Meditation and Torah Study - What a gift this has been in my life.  Back in December I had a brief experience with meditation, so when a friend told me about a meditation/torah study class at my synagogue, it was so easy to say yes.  Like tennis, it has introduced me to some great people.  With this class, I am enriched in so many ways.  We are a wonderful collection of experiences and we are all willing to share to enhance the learning.  The fear I had that I didn't know enough and would have difficulty participating was completely unfounded.  At first that horrible little voice intimidated me, but now I listen to a more positive voice and I appreciate every moment of learning.  I arrive to this class with a thirst and excitement for what I will learn that day.  And the meditation has given me new tools to use in my daily life.  As I move through my daily routines, I often get lost in the chaos, the noise and then unable to see the gifts right in front of me.  Now learning meditation, I am calmer, I react slower to frustrations around me, I have found ways to use my energy with greater productivity and I have gratitude everyday for the people and opportunities in my life.

My blog - I admit that there are days when I don't know what I will write and I get scared.  Or I finish writing something that I'm proud to share and wonder if I will produce another.  And even as I write this, I no longer have fear.  The past few months of writing were more than just the actual posts, I also read more, listened more and became more active in group discussions. I noticed a real difference in my choices of films, television, and articles.  Now when read the blogs of others, I am fascinated and envious of all the creativity, intelligence and thoughtful opinions that I have come across.  I have learned from so many and am so proud of what I have accomplished.

And all of this I believe has made me a better wife, mother, daughter, friend, partner and colleague.  I didn't realize it at the time, but adding these three at the same time gave me a variety of exercises that allowed me to express myself physically and spiritually.  I am excited to keep learning and know that I will find more positive and creative ways to express myself. 

Thanks for listening...and more to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment