Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Let Go, Be Free


Letting Go - MARCH 20
My heart is not proud, Adonai, and my eyes are not haughty; on things beyond my scope no more I brood. But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a child at its mother's breast; my soul is like a comforted child. PSALM 131:1-2

I have never imagined the psalmist as someone who is writing for the purpose of creating liturgical poetry. I know that the psalms, which were attributed to King David, were sung on the ancient Temple by the Levites. But I have always seen the psalmist as someone who is simply expressing emotion and writing for himself (or herself). This selection from the biblical book of Psalms offers us a lens through which we can navigate our daily life. In this poetry, the psalmist is suggesting what my wife, Sheryl, is fond of saying: "Control the controllable." In other words, recognize what is beyond your control, or "beyond your scope" in the language of the psalmist. Stop longing for things that are beyond you. Stop trying to fix things that you cannot. Just let them go. Spend your energy on those things that are within your orbit. Just let the rest go. That is what will bring you calm and tranquility. There is where you will find comfort and serenity.  (Kerry M. Olitzky. Life's Daily Blessings: Inspiring Reflections on Gratitude and Joy for Every Day, Based on Jewish Wisdom (pp. 72-73). Kindle Edition.)

Coincidence or not, this is exactly where I was today.  Feeling in the midst of chaos, I chose to only handle what I could. Years ago, I received great advice: "If you can't make a decision right now, then don't.  Either you will come to a decision or the universe will work it out for you."  I took that advice seriously ever since.  Letting go of the pressure to make the decision and having the freedom to allow the decision to come to you (either from within you or the universe) are true gifts.

And when I am in this chaos, I have learned to do something that is kind, compassionate and of service.  It allows me to get out of my own way and even see more clearly some of the solutions that could help lessen my chaotic life.  While impossible to always be in solution, I strive to speak and act with the conviction of finding a solution.  This effort may sometimes be difficult, but it is always authentic and often productive.

As I begin preparing emotionally for Passover, this week was what I will call the big cleanse.  It took a couple of weeks, but I feel that as I enter the holiday, I am free of silence when I needed a voice and free of fear when I needed courage.

Today ended up to be a great day  I am blessed to have family, friends and colleagues are true partners and guides on my journey.  May you walk in strength and partnership to achieve your goals... I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment